Fatal car accident: Four people were killed Sunday afternoon when an SUV crossed the median strip on Interstate 5 and crashed into two oncoming vehicles near Hood-Franklin Road in Elk Grove.
• An SUV driver lost control on the freeway and crossed over the center median into oncoming traffic.
• The SUV crashed head-on into two other vehicles. The SUV and one of he other vehicles rolled several times, ejecting passengers.
• Four people died at the scene, including the SUV driver and the driver of one of the vehicles he hit.
• Seven people were injured, some of them critically. At least one was airlifted to a trauma center.
California Highway Patrol Officer Michael Bradley said a 2004 Ford Expedition with nine people inside was traveling southbound on the freeway when the driver apparently lost control for unknown reasons.
The SUV crossed over the median strip and crashed into two northbound vehicles — a 2012 Honda Accord and a 1997 Toyota Rav4 that was towing a boat. Bradley said authorities did not yet know what happened to cause the driver to lose control.
“We don’t have a cause to release as yet,” Bradley told the Bee. “Initially, we are investigating an unsafe turning movement that caused the car to leave the roadway.”
The Expedition and the Accord both rolled over multiple times. Some passengers were ejected from both cars,while others were pinned in their vehicles.
The driver of the Expedition — tentatively identified as a Berkeley man in his 50s — died at the scene. Two of his passengers also died. The Sacramento County Coroner’s office identified them as 50-year-old Kulwant Kaur Gill of Lathrop (San Joaquin County) and a 70-year-old woman from Berkeley. Both of them had to be extricated from the vehicle, according to a CBS Channel 13 News report
The Accord driver died at the scene. His identifying information was not released as of Monday afternoon.
Seven other people were injured, three of them critically. Their injuries ranged from broken wrists and ribs to major injuries, according to the Bee report. A passenger is the Accord suffered major injuries, as did one of the passengers int eh Expedition.
The six other injury victims were passengers in the Expedition — a woman in her 40s and a 17-year-old boy, both from Lathrop, plus three women ages 18, 19 and 23 from Berkeley, and a 20-year-old man from Berkeley.
“We are going to be conducting an investigation on the Expedition to determine if there was a mechanical problem that caused it to leave the roadway,” Bradley told the Bee.
The CBS News report said tire tread was missing from the Expedition, which could be indicative of tire failure being a possible cause.
Elk Grove Car Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented car accident victims and their families for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.