• Three sailors from the North Island Naval Air Station were involved in a four-vehicle accident on State Route 15 in San Diego.
• One of the sailors lost control of his Jeep Cherokee when he suddenly approached a group of cars stopped at the transition to Interstate 5.
• The Jeep crashed into the cars and rolled over on top of one of them.
• The Jeep driver died at the scene. One other sailor was taken to a hospital with possible head and neck injuries.
The U.S. Navy man, was stationed at North Island Naval Air Station, was driving a Jeep Cherokee at a speed in excess of 65 mph at the time of the crash, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.
He apparently lost control of his vehicle as it approached several other vehicles that were stopped near Ocean View Boulevard to transition onto northbound Interstate 5.
California Highway Patrol Officer Mark Hale said the Cherokee suddenly veered right and sideswiped a Honda Civic that was stopped among the other vehicles.
The Honda rear-ended a Cadillac DeVille, pushing it forward into the back of a Toyota Corolla, Hale said. The impact forced the Cadillac into the Jeep’s lane. The Jeep rolled over and landed on top of the Cadillac.
The San Diego Fire-Rescue Department called in a heavy-rescue team, according to Channel 8. Emergency crews had to pry the two vehicles apart. The Jeep driver, whose name was not released, died at the scene.
The Cadillac driver and Honda driver also were sailors stationed at North Island Naval Air Station. Their names were not released. The Cadillac driver was transported to Sharp Memorial Hospital to be treated for possible head injuries and neck injuries. The CHP did not elaborate on the extent of his injuries, but described them as minor.
The Honda driver said he was not injured. The Toyota driver said he was suffering some pain, but he declined medical treatment.
Hale said all four of the men were wearing seat belts.
San Diego Freeway Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented freeway accident victims and their families for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.