Actor Gerard Butler was hospitalized Sunday after a surfing accident while shooting his new film, Of Men and Mavericks, on location at the famous big wave surf break near Half Moon Bay.
• Actor Gerard Butler was filming a scene for a movie at Mavericks, the Northern California surf break famous for huge waves.
• A pair of 15-foot-plus waves pulled him underwater and dragged him across the rocks.
• He was rescued and taken to Stanford Medical Center, where he was treated and released.
The 42-year-old Scottish actor was filming a scene for his role as surfer Frosty Hesson, who mentored Santa Cruz big wave surfer Jay Moriarty. Moriarty became famous surfing Mavericks at age 16 but died in a free-diving accident at 22, according to a report in the San Francisco Chronicle.
Butler was paddling out with other surfers on Sunday afternoon when the accident occurred. They were steering clear of a set of 15-foot waves when a much larger set broke in front of them, competitive surfer Zach Wormhoudt of Santa Cruz told the San Mateo County Times.
Two of the giant waves held Butler under water and dragged him across the rocks.
“It was probably the biggest set of the day,” Wormhoudt said. “It was intense for myself and I’ve been through a lot out there.”
A water safety guard rescued Butler and transported him to an area near the Pillar Point Harbor launch ramp on a jet ski.
He was treated by emergency responders from the Coastside Fire Protection District and the San Mateo County Harbor District. Paramedics then transported the actor to Stanford Medical Center, where he was examined and later released.
California Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented all types of accident victims and their families for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.