An employee was airlifted to a burn unit Wednesday after he slipped and fell into a sulfuric acid spill at the Optiforms plant in Temecula.
• An employee at an electroform manufacturing plant dropped a jar of sulfuric acid and then slipped and fell in the corrosive liquid.
• He suffered second-degree burns on at least 18 percent of his body and was airlifted to a burn unit.
• Twenty employees were evacuated while hazmat teams cleaned the spill.
• Cal/OSHA is investigating the accident.
Riverside County Fire Department spokeswoman Melody Hendrickson said the employee — a 44-year-old electroforming manager, whose name was not released – was carrying two glass jars of sulfuric acid when he dropped them on the floor. The jars shattered and spilled the acid onto the floor, and the employee slipped and fell into the corrosive liquid.
The injured employee suffered second-degree burns on 18 percent of his body, mostly on his shoulder and back, Hendrickson told the Temecula Patch news site. He was also badly burnt on his right hand by the shattered glass. He was airlifted by helicopter to the burn unit at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton.
The California Emergency Management Agency said about 20 employees were evacuated from the receiving area and the machine shop because of the sulfuric acid spill. Environmental Health and Riverside County Fire Hazmat teams responded to the scene to clean the area.
Three fire engines, one helicopter, and 11 firefighters responded to the scene. According to the accident report, about one gallon of sulfuric acid was spilled.
Cal/OSHA is investigating the accident.
Optiforms manufactures electroformed products and optical coatings, according the company website.
Dangers of Sulfuric Acid
Sulfuric acid, the largest-volume industrial chemical produced in the world, is very useful but also can be extremely dangerous. According to the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), exposure to sulfuric acid can cause:
- eye, nose, and throat irritation (cough, sore throat)
- shortness of breath, pulmonary edema
- dental erosion, skin, eye pain and burns
- dermatitis, and
At a high exposure level, it also has been found to cause cancer in some people.
Temecula Workplace Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented workplace accident victims for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.