Pedestrian accident: A 26-year-old skateboarder was in critical condition Wednesday night after he was hit by a car in Temecula.
• A skateboarder was crossing an intersection when he was kit by a vehicle.
• The driver said she did not see him.
• The skateboarder suffered major injuries and was hospitalized in critical condition.
• Police said drugs and alcohol were not involved.
Officials from the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department said 26-year-old Temecula resident Joshua Schmittou was riding his skateboard across Winchester Road at Ynez Road when he was struck by a vehicle.
Sheriff’s Sgt. John Magnan told the Valley News that the driver of the vehicle, Temecula resident Sandra Orlaski, didn’t see the skateboarder.
Orlaski and a witness stayed at the scene with the victim until emergency personnel arrived, Magnan said.
Schmittou was taken to a hospital in critical condition, according to the Press-Enterprise report.
Winchester Road was closed for about four hours while the Temecula Police Department’s Traffic Collision Reconstruction Team conducted their investigation.
“At this time, no alcohol, drugs or other impairment is suspected, and the investigation is continuing,” Magnan said.
Skateboard Fatality Statistics
There were 42 reported skateboard fatalities nationwide — 11 in California — in 2011, according to Skatepark.org research statistics. Of those 42 deaths, 30 involved motor vehicles.
“Some of the fatalities were hit-and-run incidents, many involved drunk drivers and/or texting drivers, one was even a State trooper vehicle,” the report stated.
The average age of the skateboarders who were killed in 2011 was 18. The majority were 15 years old or younger.
Temecula Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented pedestrian accident victims and their families for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.