Freeway crash: Two people were hospitalized Wednesday after a road rage incident led to a rollover crash that blocked an onramp onto the 101 freeway in Novato.
• A BMW rear-ended a Toyota that slowed at a construction zone.
• Both cars pulled over at first, but the BMW drove away. When the Toyota caught up with the BMW, the driver slammed on her brakes, causing the Toyota to swerve across the freeway and roll over.
• The driver and passenger in the Toyota were hospitalized with possible back and neck injuries.
The scuffle started in the Number 1 lane, where a 1998 BMW 740iL, driven by 25-year-old Melanie Strong of Santa Rosa, was traveling behind a 2007 Toyota Camry, driven by31-year-old Kaleybra Block.
California Highway Patrol Officer Eric Hohmeister said Block thought Strong was tailgating her, so she sped up to about 70 mph to put some room behind her. Shortly thereafter, she had to slow down to 55 mph for a construction zone north of Ignacio Boulevard. Strong did not slow down, Hohmeister said. Her BMW slammed into the Toyota from behind.
After that accident, both cars pulled over and stopped in the center divider near the Highway 37 overcrossing. A passenger in the Toyota, 26-year-old Michael Walker of Santa Rosa, got out to talk to Strong, but she drove back onto the freeway, hitting the Toyota again on her way.
Block then drove after the BMW, but when she got close, Strong slammed on her brakes. Block swerved to try to avoid a third collision, but she lost control of the Toyota. It veered across the freeway and completely rolled over, landing upright on its wheels. When the vehicle came to rest, it was blocking the onramp from Highway 37 to northbound Highway 101.
Block and Walker both suffered possible back and neck injuries and were transported to Marin General Hospital to be treated.
Strong was not injured. Her two passengers — one adult and a 7-year-old boy — also escaped injury.
Hohmesiter said the CHP is considering the accident a potential hit-and-run case. Witnesses are urged to call the CHP Marin office at 415-924-1100.
Novato Freeway Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented freeway accident victims for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.