Police blamed rain for a fatal car accident Monday morning on Interstate 8 near the San Diego State University campus.
• A man who was visiting San Diego with friends was driving a rental car when he lost control on the rain-slicked freeway.
• The car spun out and slammed into a concrete guardrail.
• The driver died at the scene.
• The two passengers were hospitalized.
California Highway Patrol Sgt. Connie Lloyd said the accident was “100 percent rain-related.”
Lloyd said a 2011 red Chevy sedan was traveling westbound in the fast lane at about 65 to 70 mph when the driver — later identified as 33-year-old Bernardo Carrillo Guerra of Mexico – lost control of the car. The Chevy spun out and slammed into a guardrail.
Guerra, who was visiting San Diego with friends, died at the scene, CHP spokesman Art Athans told the San Diego Union-Tribune. The car was a rental.
A male passenger who was riding in the back seat and a female passenger who was riding in the front passenger suffered moderate injuries, Athans said. They were transported to an area hospital to be treated. Athans said their injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.
All of the occupants of the car were wearing seat belts, Athans said.
Lloyd emphasized the dangers of rain-slicked roads and urged drivers to slow down.
How to Drive Safely in the Rain
The three most important tips for driving in the rain are slow down, slow down, and slow down — especially on the freeway, where normal speeds of 65 to 70 mph can prove deadly.
Here are some basic rain safety tips from the Smart Motorist website:
- Slow down. It takes longer to stop or adjust in wet weather.
- Stay toward the middle lanes. Water tends to pool in the outside lanes.
- Don’t follow too closely behind the car ahead of you.
- Stay back from large trucks or buses. The spray from their large tires reduces visibility.
- Be extra alert. Watch out for brake lights in front of you.
- Avoid slamming on your brakes.
- Turn on your headlights so other drivers can see you.
- Before it starts to rain, replace old or brittle wipers.
- Be especially careful when driving through puddles. Some may be deeper than you think.
San Diego Car Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented car accident victims and their families for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.