Angelo Bowers, a popular comedian who performed in clubs in Los Angeles, was killed early Tuesday morning in Hollywood by a 21-year-old drunk driver who had caused another crash just five minutes earlier.
• Comedians Angelo Bowers and Josh Adam Meyers were in a Jeep Wrangler when they were struck by a drunk driver in Hollywood.
• The drunk driver had crashed into a taxi a few blocks away and fled the scene just five minutes earlier.
• Bowers, Meyers, and the drunk driver all were hospitalized with severe injuries. Bowers died.
• Police said the drunk driver is expected to be charged with murder.
The previous accident occurred at about 12:40 a.m. near the intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Argyle Avenue, the Los Angeles Police Department accident report stated. In that crash, the drunk driver’s 2010 Toyota Matrix hit a 2005 Ford Crown Victoria Taxicab and fled the scene.
Five minutes later, the same drunk driver crashed into a 1995 Jeep Wrangler on Vine Street at Yucca Street. Bowers, who had just found out he was cancer-free after having had a chest tumor removed in October, was riding in the Jeep with his good friend and fellow comedian Josh Adam Meyers. Meyers was driving the vehicle.
The LAPD report described it as a “violent collision.” Bowers, Meyers, and the drunk driver all sustained major injuries. All three were transported to Cedars Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles.
Bowers died from his injuries a few hours later. Meyers reportedly suffered multiple fractures but was expected to survive.
The drunk driver was “expected to be booked for murder once his medical condition improves,” according to the LAPD report.
A funeral service for Bowers was to be held at Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church in Modesto, where he grew up and lived most of his life. Bowers was extremely well liked by his peers. Comedian Brian Whitaker called him “one of the best comics I’ve worked with and one of the greatest people I’ve known, period.”
Angelo Bowers will be deeply missed and fondly remembered.
Los Angeles Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented drunk driving accident victims and their families for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.