A pilot from Oceanside remained in critical condition Monday after his lightweight plane crashed into a hangar at Fallbrook Airpark on Sunday.
• A lightweight, single-engine plane took off from a local airport and then almost immediately crashed into a hangar.
• The plane was destroyed and the pilot suffered life-threatening injuries.
• The injured pilot was airlifted to a hospital in critical condition.
San Diego County sheriff’s Sgt. Patrick Yates told the Fallbrook Village News that a passerby found pilot James Stowe, 45, of Oceanside lying on the ground next to his wrecked single-seat aircraft shortly before 9 a.m.
The single-engine 1969 Bowers Fly Baby 1-A plane has just taken off when it crashed into a hangar about 100 yards from the runway, according to officials from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and North County Fire Protection District (NCFD).
The pilot suffered major injuries and was airlifted via helicopter to Palomar Medical Center in Escondido, NCFD spokesman John Buchanan told Channel 6 News. Stowe’s injuries were considered life-threatening. He was admitted to the intensive care unit, where he was still listed in critical condition on Monday.
FAA officials said the agency would be investigating the aviation accident.
Small Plane Crash Statistics
There were 1,435 small plane crashes nationwide in 2010, according to the latest National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) statistics. Almost 20 percent of those aviation accidents — 267 — were fatal, causing 450 deaths.
The number of crashes had decreased considerably since 2000, when there 1,837 crashes resulted in 596 fatalities. The accident and death rate has continually decreased every year.
Fallbrook Plane Crash Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented plane crash victims and their families for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.