Call for a free consultation

If you have been hurt on the roadways in California, you may have a lot of questions about what you need to do to get full and fair compensation for all your injuries. This page answers many of the basic questions that people have after an auto accident.

At Blackman Legal Group, we have protected the rights of personal injury victims, including people hurt in motor vehicle accidents, since 1977. We combine knowledge and experience with meticulous preparation, carefully investigating every detail of your claim. We will fully explain the law and process, as well as your options and likelihood of success. As a result, our attorneys frequently settle personal injury claims at or above insurance policy limits, and we have obtained numerous judgments and recoveries in excess of $1 million.

For a free case evaluation, contact Blackman Legal Group by e-mail or call our office at 866-692-8126 to set up an appointment.


  • Should I call the police? We recommend that you call the police immediately and have them complete an accident report, as this will provide evidence of the cause of the accident. The police may also take statements that can be used to support your case, and may check the other driver for substance abuse. A police officer can also provide testimony regarding the location and damage to the respective vehicles, as well as any injuries you suffered.
  • What information should I get from the other driver? If you don’t require immediate medical attention, you should stay at the scene of the accident and gather as much information as possible, including the names of all drivers, passengers or witnesses to the accident, along with addresses and phone numbers. You should also get the other driver’s license number and the name of his or her insurance provider.
  • Should I contact my insurance company? Though your insurance company will most likely require prompt notification of any accident, we recommend that you contact an attorney first, if there are significant personal injuries involved. Your insurance company may want to take a statement from you, which could subsequently be used to try to diminish or deny your claim. We will act as your advocate with your insurer, so that you get all the benefits to which you are entitled.
  • Should I see a doctor? Yes. The first thing you should do after an accident is seek any medical attention that you need. If you don’t need emergency care, you should still schedule a checkup with your doctor, in the event there are injuries that you don’t know about or would look for.
  • Do I need pictures of the scene or the damages? You can never have too many pictures of an accident scene. You can start taking pictures with a camera on your phone, and can also return to the scene to get additional pictures. You will also want to take pictures of any physical injuries you have suffered, as well as any property damages.
  • What do I doif the other driver’s insurance company calls me? Never give a statement to the other driver’s insurance company without advice from your attorney. If an adjuster calls you, simply tell them you are not prepared to discuss the matter and call our offices.

We handle all motor vehicle accident injury claims on a contingent fee basis. We will only charge you attorney fees if we recover compensation for your losses.


If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, we will provide you with a free case evaluation. To set up an appointment, contact us by e-mail or call our office toll-free at 866-692-8126. We have offices throughout California. To find the location nearest to you, see our Office Locations page.