Fatal pedestrian accident: A tow truck driver who was hooking up a disabled vehicle was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver Monday night in Malibu.
• A tow truck driver was outside of his vehicle, helping a stranded motorist on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.
• A speeding car crashed into the truck, did a barrel roll, and slammed into the tow truck driver in mid-air.
• The tow truck driver, a father of three, died immediately.
• The car fled the scene but crashed into a parked car two miles away. Police arrested the driver, who sustained a critical head injury but was expected to survive.
Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies told KTLA that the tow truck driver, 45-year-old Ronald Carver of Newbury Park, was outside of his vehicle helping a motorist whose vehicle was stranded on PCH at John Tyler Drive.
A silver Audi, driven by 44-year-old Jill Rose of Venice, came speeding down the narrow highway, hit the ramp of the flatbed tow vehicle truck, and then slammed into Carver, NBC News reported.
“The driver struck the ramp, did a complete barrel roll, then hit the person in mid-air,” Sgt. Philip Brooks, of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, told NBC.
Carver, who was a father of three, died on impact.
Rose continued driving and then crashed into a parked car near the Malibu Pier, two miles away. She sustained a severe brain hemorrhage in the accident, police said. She was arrested at the scene and then rushed to UCLA Medical Center, where she was listed in critical condition. Authorities said she was expected to survive.
Police did not yet know whether drugs or alcohol were involved in the accident; investigators were awaiting results of toxicology tests. Police said Rose has a history of opiate abuse.
If no drugs or alcohol are involved, Rose would face charges of vehicular manslaughter and felony hit-and-run, police said. If she was under the influence, further charges would be added.
Malibu Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented the families of pedestrian accident victims for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.