Five adults and three children were injured in a car accident Saturday night when a drunk driver struck two cars in Watsonville.
• A drunk driver with her 6-year-old son in the car crossed a double yellow line into oncoming traffic and crashed head-on into two vehicles.
• Five adults, including the drunk driver, were injured. Two of them were airlifted to a hospital with major injuries.
• Two children, including the drunk driver’s son, also were injured in the crash.
• The drunk driver was arrested on charges of felony DUI and child endangerment.
California Highway Patrol acting Sgt. Grant Boles said 26-year-old Devon Salse of Watsonville was driving a 2002 Ford Escape northbound on Holohan Road when she crossed the double yellow lines into the southbound lane just south of Green Valley Road.
The Ford Escape first crashed head-on into a Pontiac Grand Am and then struck a Nissan Altima, Boles said.
There were two people in the Pontiac. The 45-year-old Watsonville woman who was driving suffered major injuries. Her passenger, a 39-year-old Watsonville man, also suffered moderate to major injuries, CHP officer Sarah Jackson said in a prepared statement that was reported on the Watsonville Patch news site. Both were airlifted via helicopter to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center.
Three Watsonville residents in the Altima were injured, Jackson said. A 6-year-old girl and two women, aged 24 and 54, were transported to Watsonville Community Hospital to be treated for what the CHP described as minor injuries.
Salse had her 6-year-old son in the car with her. He suffered moderate injuries and was released to a relative, Jackson said. It was not clear when he was transported to a hospital for treatment, but the CHP statement indicated that both he and the other 6-year-old were recuperating from their injuries.
“Thankfully, both children involved in the collision are recovering,” Jackson said.
Salse refused treatment for her injuries and was arrested at the scene. She was booked into Santa Cruz County Jail and charged with felony driving under the influence causing injuries and child endangerment, Jackson said.
Watsonville Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented drunk driving accident victims for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.