Two people were killed early Sunday in a fiery car accident on southbound Interstate 680 in San Ramon.
• Southbound I-680 was restricted to one lane near a construction zone. A Nissan sedan rear-ended a BMW in that lane and both cars spun into the coned-off construction zone.
• The Nissan crashed into an 18-ton forklift and burst into flames. The driver died at the scene.
• The BMW crashed into the rear of an unoccupied pickup truck. The BMW passenger died.
• The driver of the BMW was hospitalized with major injuries.
The California Highway Patrol said 18-year-old Brandon Rosevear of Concord was driving a Nissan Maxima southbound on I-680 just south of Crow Canyon Road when he rear-ended a BMW driven by an unidentified 40-year-old woman from San Ramon.
The collision caused both vehicles to spin out of control, according to the CHP report. Both vehicles spun into a coned-off road construction zone.
The Nissan entered the construction zone first. The driver’s side of the Nissan hit a 36,000-pound forklift and burst into flames, trapping Rosevear inside. He died at the scene. He was so severely burned that the coroner’s office had to use dental records to identify him, Contra Costa Deputy Tim Biggs told the San Ramon Express.
The passenger’s side of the BMW then crashed into the rear of an unoccupied Ford F-150 pickup truck. The BMW passenger, 46-year-old Mehrdad Emami of San Ramon, was killed. The unidentified 40-year-old woman who was driving the BMW suffered major injuries and was hospitalized, the CHP said. No information about her identity, her injuries, or her condition was available.
Investigators were still determining why the Nissan hit the BMW in the first place, but CHP Officer Steve Creole said a speed differential may have been the culprit. Creole told the Express that traffic had been narrowed to one lane to accommodate the construction, indicating that the Nissan may have been traveling faster than the BMW when the initial collision occurred.
The accident remains under investigation.
San Ramon Freeway Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented car accident victims and their families for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.