Car accident: Six people were injured Thursday — three were hospitalized in critical condition — when an 82-year-old woman who swerved to avoid an accident crashed into a medical building in Reseda.
• An elderly woman in a station wagon swerved to avoid hitting another car and then lost control of her vehicle and veered into a parking lot.
• The station wagon slammed into a pedestrian and then crashed into a dental office, trapping two employees under the debris.
• Three victims were hospitalized in critical condition. Three others, reportedly children, were treated and released at the scene.
Los Angeles Police Capt. John Egan said the elderly woman was driving an older model Buick station wagon northbound on White Oak Avenue when another car made a left turn onto the roadway.
The woman swerved off of the road to avoid hitting the car, lost control of her vehicle, and veered into a medical/dental building at 6800 North White Oak Avenue.
“She ended up driving across the intersection and up into the parking lot,” Egan said.
Before the station wagon crashed into the building itself, it struck a female pedestrian in the lot. She was rushed to a hospital in critical condition. Her condition was not known, but the ABC News report said she was expected to survive.
Then the station wagon smashed through the exterior wall and into one of the dental offices, trapping two employees in the debris.
A dozen emergency vehicles responded to the accident scene, according to the ABC News report.
“We did find six patients upon our arrival,” Los Angeles Fire Department spokesperson Matt Spence told KPCC News.
Firefighters had to extricate the two trapped victims from the dental office (see photo). Both of them suffered catastrophic injuries and were taken to Northridge Hospital Medical Center in Northridge, where they were listed in critical condition.
Northridge Hospital trauma surgeon Dr. Walid Arnaout said one of the victims was undergoing surgery, but both were expected to survive. Their conditions were upgraded from critical to serious, he said.
Three children suffered minor injuries, according to the ABC News report. The nature of their injuries was not released, but fire officials said they were treated and released at the scene.
The driver of the station wagon was not injured. Investigators have not yet determined whether her age might have been a factor in the accident.
Reseda Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented pedestrian accident victims for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.