A 19-year-old driver was arrested Sunday night for a hit-and-run accident that killed an 18-year-old bicyclist Friday morning in the North San Diego community of Rancho Santa Fe.
• A 19-year-old driver drifted off the side of the road into the bike lane and struck an 18-year-old bicyclist.
• The bicyclist died. The driver fled the scene.
• Neighbors alerted police to the car with damage matching the description of the accident, and police arrested the 19-year-old.
California Highway Patrol Officer Chris Parent told the Times that 18-year-old Angel Bojorquez of Escondido was riding his bicycle northbound on Via de la Valle toward Paseo Delicias when a vehicle drove up behind him, drifted onto the right shoulder (the bike lane) and struck him.
Bojorquez had been riding home from his job as a grocery clerk at an Albertson’s grocery store in Del Mar. The driver of the vehicle that fatally struck Bojorquez fled the scene and left him to die. A private Rancho Santa Fe security officer discovered Bojorquez’s body at about 2 a.m. by the side of the road.
Neighbors of 19-year-old San Diego resident Jin Jyuk Byun tipped off police that Byun’s car, a black 2008 Chevy Avalanche, had damage consistent with reports of the deadly hit-and-run crash.
Parent said an investigator spoke with Byun at his home on Sunday night, but he refused to cooperate. Officers obtained a search warrant, arrested him on felony hit-and-run charges, and booked him into the county jail.
At Byun’s arraignment on Wednesday, prosecutors said that Byun pulled off the road after he hit Bojorquez and tried to hide evidence, according to a Fox 5 News report. Prosecutors further alleged that Byun tried to cover up some of the damage to his Chevy Avalanche and then drove to his parents’ house on a flat tire and tried to hide the Avalanche in their garage.
Byun pleaded not guilty. His bail was set at $1 million.
San Diego Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented hit-and-run accident victims and their families for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.