Fatal car accident: A 20-year-old woman was killed Saturday night when her car was hit head-on by a minivan that drifted into oncoming traffic on Highway 1 in Half Moon Bay.
Eight hours later, an Irish tourist drove onto the wrong side of the road and crashed into an oncoming vehicle near San Gregorio.
• A Dodge minivan swerved into oncoming traffic on Highway 1 in Half Moon Bay and crashed head-on into a Honda sedan.
• The woman driving the Honda died at the scene. The woman who was driving the minivan was hospitalized in critical condition.
• Eight hours later, an Irish tourist drove onto the wrong side of Highway 1 in San Gregorio and crashed into an oncoming vehicle.
• Both drivers were hospitalized with major injuries. Three passengers, including two children, suffered minor injuries.
California Highway Patrol Officer Art Montiel said a 44-year-old San Gregorio woman, whose identity was not released, was driving a Dodge Caravan northbound on Highway 1 when she swerved into oncoming traffic.
The Caravan slammed head-on into a southbound Honda Civic driven by a 20-year-old woman, who died at the scene. The victim was identified by the San Mateo County Coroner’s Office as San Jose resident Kathryn Habenicht.
The Caravan driver was pinned in her vehicle. Cal Fire emergency workers pulled her out from behind the steering wheel and rushed her to Stanford Medical Center, according to a Half Moon Bay Patch news report. She was listed in critical condition.
The CHP did not yet know why the Caravan swerved into oncoming traffic. There were no obvious signs that drugs or alcohol were involved, Monteil said. Toxicology tests were ordered as a matter of protocol for a fatal accident but investigators said results might not be available for several weeks.
Irish tourist blamed for head-on collision in San Gregorio
A few minutes after 8 a.m., another head-on collision occurred on Highway 1, about 11 miles south of the first accident, Monteil told KTVU News.
A 34-year-old man from Dublin, Ireland, pulled over to take pictures just south of Tunitas Creek Road near San Gregorio and then re-entered the highway on the left side of the road. He was traveling north in the southbound lanes, Monteil said.
The man’s car crashed head-on into a 1988 Acura. The driver of the car, a 43-year-old man from Pescadero, suffered major injuries and was taken to Stanford Hospital to be treated. All three of his passengers also were hurt, but their injuries were minor, Monteil said.
The Irish tourist sustained major injuries and also was taken to Stanford Hospital.
CHP investigators had not yet determined whether drugs or alcohol may have been involved in the accident. Witnesses are asked to contact the CHP at (650) 369-6261 ext. 371.
San Mateo County Car Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented car accident victims for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.