A 53-year-old Pomona man was killed in a grisly head-on car accident Thursday morning after a 19-year-old driver lost control of her pickup truck on Brea Canyon Road in Diamond Bar.
• A full-size Chevy pickup truck drifted off of the road, hit a guardrail on the shoulder, and bounced back into traffic.
• The truck sideswiped a sedan and then crossed over the double-yellow line into oncoming traffic, where it crashed head-on into a Honda Civic.
• Both drivers had to be extricated from their vehicles.
• The Honda driver died. The truck driver sustained only minor injuries, but her passenger was taken to USC Medical Center with serious injuries.
California Highway Patrol Officer Al Perez said Sung Choe was driving a Honda Civic southbound on Brea Canyon Road when he was struck head-on by a Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck being driven by the Murrietta teen.
The pickup truck was traveling northbound on Brea Canyon Road when the teen lost control and drifted off of the roadway onto the right shoulder, according to an Orange County Register report.
The truck hit a guardrail, and then bounced back toward the center of the road, where it sideswiped a southbound Honda sedan driven by a woman from Rowland Heights, the CHP said in a written statement.
The truck then crossed over into a southbound lane, where it crashed head-on into an oncoming Honda Civic driven by Choe.
Both drivers were trapped in their vehicles and had to be extricated by firefighters, according to Fullerton/Brea Fire Department battalion chief Steve Wood. Paramedics transported both drivers to St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton, Wood said.
Choe was pronounced dead at the hospital. The teen driver was treated for minor injuries.
A passenger in the pickup truck suffered serious injuries and was taken to Los Angeles County – USC Medical Center in Los Angeles. The nature and extent of her injuries was not known.
The Rowland Heights woman, who was driving the car that was first to be hit by the pickup truck, was not injured, the CHP said.
The accident remains under investigation by the CHP.
Diamond Bar Car Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented car accident victims and their families for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.