Two drivers were hospitalized with head injuries Tuesday after one of them lost control and his big-rig jacknifed on Interstate 10 in Baldwin Park.
• A truck driver lost control of his big-rig, crashed into the center divider, and jackknifed across the freeway.
• An approaching tank truck was unable to avoid crashing into the jackknifed big-rig.
• Both drivers suffered head injuries and were transported via ground ambulance to USC Medical Center to be treated.
California Highway Patrol Officer Kerri Rivas told the Patch news site that 59-year old Elias Rivas of Carsol was driving a big-rig eastbound in the No. 3 lane of Interstate 10 when the accident happened. His rate of speed was unknown.
Rivas veered to the left for unknown reasons and crashed into the center divider wall. The tractor trailer went completely out of control and jackknifed across three freeway lanes, Officer Rivas said.
A 2011 Ford tank truck, driven by 29-year-old Miguel Martinez of Rialto, was traveling eastbound in the No.2 lane at about 45 mph and was unable to avoid crashing into the jackknifed big-rig. The impact damaged the big-rig’s fuel tank. About 50 gallons of diesel fuel spilled onto the freeway.
Both drivers suffered moderate head and bodily injuries, Officer Rivas said. Both of them were conscious at the scene. They were transported to Los Angeles County USC Medical Center to be treated.
Authorities closed all lanes of the freeway for about three hours in order to clear the scene and clean the oil spill.
The accident remains under investigation. Anyone with information is urged to contact the Baldwin Park CHP office during normal business hours at 626-338-1164. After hours, witnessed may contact the Los Angeles Communications Center at 323-982-4900.
Baldwin Park Truck Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented truck accident victims and their families for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.