A 23-year-old woman was killed Monday night in a head-on collision caused by a drunk driver who was traveling the wrong way on a Northridge street.
• A drunk driver in a Ford Explorer crossed a double yellow line on a city street and crashed head-on into a Honda Civic.
• The impact sheared off the entire right side of the Honda, killing the 25-year-old passenger inside.
• The Explorer then crashed through an iron fence and landed in a resident’s yard.
• The drunk driver — whose blood alcohol level was nearly three times the legal limit — was arrested on felony drunk driving and vehicular manslaughter charges.
Police said 50-year-old Valerie Stewart of Van Nuys was drunk when she drove the wrong way on Parthenia Street.
Stewart’s eastbound Ford Explorer crossed over a double yellow line near Corbin Avenue and crashed head-on into a westbound Honda Civic, Los Angeles Police Department Capt. Ivan Minsal told KTLA News.
The violent collision sheared off the entire passenger side of the Honda, Minsal said. It also launched the Explorer through a wrought-iron fence and into the front yard of a nearby house.
The woman who was riding in the front passenger seat of the Honda, 25-year-old Griselda Sandoval of Northridge, died at the scene.
Her brother, 18-year-old Roberto Sandoval, also from Northridge, was driving the car. He was hospitalized with injuries that were not considered to be life-threatening, according to a report on the Northridge Patch news site.
Stewart was arrested and taken to a local hospital to be treated for minor injuries. LAPD Officer James Norton told NBC News that Stewart’s blood alcohol level was .22 — nearly nearly three times the legal limit. She faces charges of felony drunk driving and vehicular manslaughter.
Stewart was booked into the county jail. Her bail was set at $50,000.
Northridge Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented drunk driving accident victims and their families for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.