• A 28-year-old man was driving drunk at a high rate of speed when he lost control on a rain-slicked, curvy road. His vehicle went off the road and was completely demolished.
• Three teens were riding in the vehicle. Two of them died at the scene and the other one suffered critical injuries.
• The driver, who also was in critical condition, will face drunk driving charges if he survives.
California Highway Patrol officials said 28-year-old Carlos Hernandez of Newhall was driving a 1999 Ford east on Hasley Canyon Road near Commerce Center Drive when he lost control of his vehicle on an S-curve. The roads were slick because of the rain, the CHP said.
The vehicle went over a curb, crashed through a white plastic guard rail, and slammed into a number of trees, and rolled over, according to a KHTS News report. The car was completely crushed by the time it came to a stop on the embankment.
Two Newhall teens– 16-year-old Kevin Sanchez and 19-year-old Richard Lagunas — were riding in the back seat. They died at the scene.
A third teen was riding in the front passenger seat. The 17-year-old boy — later identified as Gustavo Lagunas, also of Newhall – was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle. He suffered major injuries.
Hernandez was wearing a seat belt. He was not ejected but he also suffered major injuries. He and the teen both were in critical condition and were rushed to Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital to be treated.
CHP officer Kevin Pack said Hernandez had been traveling at a high rate of speed and that alcohol was a factor in the crash. Pack said Hernandez was arrested for drunk driving, although it was not certain that he would survive his injuries.
Castaic Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The trial attorneys at Blackman Legal Group, a California-based law firm founded by renowned trial attorney Clifford Blackman, have successfully represented drunk driving accident victims and their families for 35 years. The nationwide toll-free number to call for a free consultation is 1-866-692-8126.
- • Value: We offer discounted fees to callers who read our blog.
• Experience: Our attorneys are top-ranked.
• Consideration: We advance all expenses on cases. And we never charge a fee unless your case is successfully settled.